Tuesday, April 3, 2007

A few "first time" moments today

Hola from Mixco, Guatemala! Today Zachary and I got to experience some of our "first times". We went grocery shopping today for the first time. That was fun. He was a little angel. Of course, I had lots of help. Four other people that were more than willing to hold him if he even thought about crying.

We are having a great time. My "friends" are treating me like royalty. They have really been good to me...and they just adore Zachary. I am getting to experience first hand what life is like over here. So far, I'm really liking it. It is different but hey, it's always good to get a taste of what it's like in other places.

I would ask that you guys all say prayers for Zachary. He has bronchitis very bad right now and is taking breathing treatments and on antibiotics. I know that the Embassy doctor will not release him to travel if he isn't better. I am worried about that so please say a special prayer that he will get better very soon. He has a terrible cough but even despite that, he is so sweet and happy!!

Tonight we were at the mall and the song "I never knew love like this before" came on. I was singing to Zachary so I started singing that song. I had tears in my eyes because that is so true. Before I saw him for the first time, I had no idea what about this kind of love. Now I do and it is so special. There is just nothing else like it!!

Ok, so here is a culture shock for me. Tonight I went in the bedroom to get some clothes out for us to wash and there was a GIANT roach on the floor. I almost freaked!! I chased him out and then followed him and GOT him!! I was cringing the whole time. YIKES!!! I hope I can sleep tonight. I bet you a million dollars I will dream about roach bugs!! ughhhhhhhhhhhh I hate them!! The only good thing is that they are as scared of us as we are of them. ;-) Here the houses are much more open to the outside than ours are in the US. They are very nice houses just more exposure to outside so bugs can get in. Please say ANOTHER prayer that I won't see another one!!!!

Tomorrow we are going touring. They are going to take me around to different places so I can take pictures and learn about the history of Guatemala. I am really looking forward to this. I am truly getting a first hand experience about life in Guatemala. Everyone here has been so nice to me...and they just love Zachary. I am touched by all of the kindness and hospitality. I can't wait to one day share all of this with Zachary. I know it will be so special to both of us.

Today I got to see Nora. She is another baby that has been living with Zachary at the foster mom's house. She is so beautiful and sweet. Her parents, Pam and Dale, are coming down this Friday for the pick-up trip. Nora is finally going home!! Yeah!!! She is such a doll. She and Zachary have a special bond and I know that they are really going to miss each other. We will have to make sure that they keep in touch with each other.

OK, I will call it a day now. I am thoroughly exhausted. I have a feeling that I will need lots of rest for tomorrow. I will write again when we get back tomorrow evening.

For now, Buenos Noches from Guatemala!!!

Love and Hugs,
Zachary and mommy

1 comment:

Susan said...

Rebecca,
It sounds like you are having a wonderful time. I hope Zachary is feeling better soon. I am sure he will be fine before it is time to come home. What a wonderful experience to be able to stay with a local family down there. Yeah, the cockroaches are yucky. Have you seen the REALLY BIG ones that fly? Those are super YUCKY! Enjoy every minute of your visit. Hope we run into each other after I get down there. I would love to meet Zachary.

Take Care,
Susan