Sunday, June 8, 2008

One word to describe our weekend














WONDERFUL!!!! We had an amazing weekend. We were literally on the go the entire time. Friday night we stayed around the house....went for a short bike ride and got in bed early to prepare for our busy day on Saturday. I got up around 6:45 am on Saturday and by 7:30, Zachary and I were on the road, headed for the greenway. For those of you who may think we were on the golf course, let me explain. Charlotte has lots of trails and paths (mostly paved) where people can walk, run, ride bikes and roller blade. There are about 15 in Charlotte. Eventually they will all connect! The one that we went to is about 10 minutes from our house and it's a 15 mile trail (one way). We rode the whole thing and some. We hit the trail around 8:15. The really cool thing is that 75% of the greenway is shaded. I bought an Instep bike trailer for Zachary to ride in. It hooks on to my bike and let me tell you, the boy is riding in style. ;-)) He even has a little fan blowing on him so he doesn't get too hot. He's got it made! The story is a little different for mommy though. It was pleasant for the first few hours but then it started getting HOT!! It was 102 degrees at noon when we were leaving.

While we were out enjoying nature and our ride, we had the most amazing experience. We saw lots of people as we were riding along but there were three people that we crossed paths with that really touched our hearts...Jim, George and their mom Ms. Barbara. They had stopped on the edge of the trail and were taking some pictures. Ms. Barbara is Jim and George's mom and she is 90 years old. She was recently diagnosed with stage 4 ovarian cancer. Let me tell you though, she still has a quick wit and such a sweet disposition. She and Zachary had the best time. Zachary blew her kisses and sat on her lap while we took pictures. He brought a smile to her face while really warmed my heart. Children just seem to have that effect on people. ;-) So we sat there and talked to them for the longest time and by the time we parted ways, I felt like we had known each other forever. What a wonderful experience that was. It was absolutely the highlight of our day!!

We got a really nice surprise on Saturday afternoon when my dad came up to spend the rest of the weekend with us. We had a wonderful time! We grilled out on Saturday night (that papa can really whip up a mean hamburger) and then we went to church yesterday. We had homecoming so it was a really special time for my dad to visit with us. We had to be there at 9am because I had choir practice. We ended up not getting back to our house until almost 3pm. We had a covered dish luncheon and then a singing after that. I'm telling you, by the time I got home, I was beat!

I did manage to take a 45 minute nap yesterday!! I was happy about that but still feel like I could use another 2 hour nap today! ;-))

Ok, so I added some pictures to the post from a week ago (Z's birthday party) and I added some to this post. I included some of my dad and Zachary from a month ago. I just realized I hadn't posted these and they are wonderful so I wanted to share. ;-)

Hope everyone has a wonderful week!

No comments: